Menstruation, pregnancy, labour and menopause- these are the four possible reproductive milestones in a woman’s life. While most women take the initiative to care for themselves during and right after pregnancy, many tend to overlook the importance of a healthy and regular menstrual cycle. Worse still, many tolerate various uncomfortable and persistent symptoms that can interfere with everyday life.
If you are experiencing such symptoms, perhaps it’s time to seek alternative treatment options like acupuncture.
What Is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese therapeutic method and has slowly gained popularity in the Western world due to its many health benefits.
The treatment process involves inserting fine needles, the size of a strand of hair, at specific points on the skin to restore the balance and flow of Qi, which is a vital life force within us. The goal is to activate and enhance our body’s natural healing abilities.
Acupuncture For Menstrual Problems
Regular periods are essential for a woman’s health and fertility. Many women suffer through various uncomfortable symptoms, including:
- Cramps and bloating
- Headaches and migraines
- PMS and mood swings
- Breast swelling and tenderness
Some women also experience irregular cycles and amenorrhea (no menses for three or more months), both of which can affect their long-term health.
From a traditional Chinese medicine perspective, all the above symptoms are signs that the body is unbalanced. Acupuncture can help by:
- Regulating hormones– acupuncture can help control the feedback loop between the brain and the ovaries, ensuring that ovulation, and hence menses, occur at regular intervals. Hormone regulation will also lessen common menstruation symptoms such as cramps, PMS and headaches.
- Improving blood flow in the ovaries and uterus– acupuncture can dilate blood vessels and increase nutrient-dense blood flow to the reproductive organs. Sufficient blood flow allows the endometrial lining to thicken and eventually lead to menses.
- Promoting ovulation– treatment works to balance reproductive hormones, allowing ovulation to occur naturally.
- Minimizing stress– research shows that chronic emotional stress can lead to irregular menstrual cycles. Acupuncture helps reduce stress by resetting the nervous system to the relaxed, “rest and digest” state.
Acupuncture For Menopause
Menopause is a normal stage in a woman’s life as she ages, and for many, it can be a problematic and uncomfortable transition. As the ovaries stop producing reproductive hormones: estrogen and progesterone, a range of symptoms may occur, including:
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Mood swings
- Loss in libido
Acupuncture targets hormonal imbalances, and many women have reported an alleviation of symptoms, particularly hot flashes and night sweats, after several acupuncture sessions. If you are unable to or do not wish to undergo hormone replacement therapy, acupuncture could be a safe and affordable option for you.
At Qi Healing Acupuncture Clinic, we aim to work with you to devise a tailored treatment plan that will alleviate your symptoms and bring you long-term wellness and health. If you are looking to minimize your discomfort caused by menstruation or menopause, call us at 905-822-9368 or 416-821-5899 to book an appointment at our Toronto clinic today!